Pumpkindriver

my profile/pm's | register | search | FAQ | chat
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Pumpkindriver   » Getting Schooled   » DOT/FMCSA Questions   » Feds Tighten Up Drug Testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feds Tighten Up Drug Testing
Duke Of Earl
4th Gear Member
Member # 6013

Icon 40 posted August 13, 2008 07:12      Profile for Duke Of Earl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPECIAL REPORT: Feds tighten up drug testing policies – Beating a DOT drug test is getting a lot tougher thanks to a new final rule issued by the Department of Transportation.

The final rule, issued today, takes aim at CDL holders who attempt to defeat drug tests with substances or substitutes that will hide positive results. The new regulation goes into effect Aug. 25.

The final rule makes it mandatory for labs to test all DOT specimens for validity – to make sure there aren’t any adulterants or urine substitutes. The labs must follow specific federally mandated guidelines when testing for tainted samples.

The revised regulation also gives labs the green light to observe the collection of samples if an employee called in for a drug test is suspected of trying to alter the sample. If an employee does test positive and is going through the return-to-duty process or a follow-up drug test, labs are now required to have staff observe collection of the urine sample.

The new reg also requires labs to take down the “easy to read” posters that outline the list of different substances that alter test results the lab will be testing for.

If somehow a test is altered, it will now be considered a “refusal to test.”

The process for CDL holders who may have a legitimate medical reason – for example, those on a regular regime of medication prescribed by a doctor – will also change. They will now be required to get a medical evaluation to rule out signs and symptoms of drug abuse before being given a free pass on a positive test result.

Posts: 415 | From: Good Ole USA** | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Butcherman
8th Gear Member
Member # 5795

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2008 07:48      Profile for Butcherman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were told this week that all new hires for SNI Intermodal are not only doing a urine test ,but also a hair follicle test ,as the hair test shows a 90 day history instead of a 30 day for the urine test ,and can't be easily altered. [7up Dot]

Posts: 857 | From: y | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bigun
ModeratorModeratorModeratorModerator
Member # 5753

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2008 21:39      Profile for Bigun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Butcherman:
We were told this week that all new hires for SNI Intermodal are not only doing a urine test ,but also a hair follicle test ,as the hair test shows a 90 day history instead of a 30 day for the urine test ,and can't be easily altered. [7up Dot]

A new bulk guy at the OC was telling me about doing the hair follicle test. As long as they are fair and accurate I say good deal. I have heard about a study that says 2 out of every 25 truck drivers can not pass a drug test in the US. Thats 2 too many in my book.
Posts: 2223 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kibbe
4th Gear Member
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2008 01:59      Profile for Kibbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole drug thing pisses me off to be honest. All this crap over a couple bad apples.
Posts: 453 | From: In the truck | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Butcherman
8th Gear Member
Member # 5795

Icon 44 posted August 15, 2008 06:20      Profile for Butcherman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kibbe:
The whole drug thing pisses me off to be honest. All this crap over a couple bad apples.

In the words of Ronald Reagan "Trust ,but verify"

Posts: 857 | From: y | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
M&M CUSTOM
5th Gear Member
Member # 7724

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2008 07:59      Profile for M&M CUSTOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The account I'm has had the hair follicle and urine tests for a long time from what I have heard.

They can get you for a refusal to test the hair follicle test by not having at least a couple square inches of hair over an inch long somewhere on your body.

Why can't they permanently pull the CDL of a driver that tests positive?

Posts: 563 | From: Somewhere. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
GHelmly
ModeratorModeratorModeratorModerator
Member # 6511

Icon 44 posted August 15, 2008 11:42      Profile for GHelmly   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M&M CUSTOM:
The account I'm has had the hair follicle and urine tests for a long time from what I have heard.

They can get you for a refusal to test the hair follicle test by not having at least a couple square inches of hair over an inch long somewhere on your body.

Why can't they permanently pull the CDL of a driver that tests positive?

Well they cant say you refused unless you say you refuse, just cause you dont have enough hair is not your fault. I have heard this tried about pulling blood on DUI's, just cause the medic couldnt hit the vein or it blew, does not mean the subject refused, there is a big difference!
and from what I know about drug testing hair can go further back than 60 days, some experts say years! Best policy is dont do any and you dont have nothing to worry about.

Read below, there are those that do and those that dont, and those that havent been caught yet!

Good Luck!

Posts: 1617 | From: Claxton, GA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
M&M CUSTOM
5th Gear Member
Member # 7724

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 12:32      Profile for M&M CUSTOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JB Hunt tells you that you will be hair follicle tested on certain dedicated accounts, and they tell you that you should have at least a 1 inch by 1 inch patch of hair at or longer than 3/4 of an inch long for this test, and that if they call you in for a random and you don't have a patch of hair for the required follicle test you will get dinged for a refusal, since they told you that you should have enough available for a test at any time while still employed by them.

The only way to circumvent this test is to have a rare condition that causes you to not be able to grow hair, shaving your hair off and not having enough to properly test is considered refusal according to company policy and is outlined in the drug and alcohol policies manual all new drivers get at orientation.

I don't have ANYTHING to worry about for either test, OR the availability of hair for testing.

Posts: 563 | From: Somewhere. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
corn_nutz
EX-Lurker
Member # 9716

Icon 39 posted October 06, 2008 22:28      Profile for corn_nutz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello PD! I've got so much good info on this site - now it's my turn to ask rookie questions...

Anyone know if there's a way to see a past pre-employment drug test? Is it something only an employer can request, or can you get a copy for yourself (like your credit reports). I ask because I saw on the application that they check three years past. Don't want to waste time if I have a positive. I've been straight for over 18 months so I will pee in anything they want now... without fear.

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
General Lee
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator
Member # 2865

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 22:38      Profile for General Lee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since SNI likes to hire military and they like their hair high and tight I guess thats going to be an issue!

I keep my head shaved bald since (I am nearly bald anyways) and my beard is mostly short these days so I guess I would be in trouble.

But in my case I don't care they can blood test me, urine test me or whatever because I have never done an illegal drug so they won't find any in my system for 30 days or 30 years!

Posts: 6339 | From: Clarksville, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
FastTruck
6th Gear Member
Member # 4883

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2009 14:12      Profile for FastTruck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This entire drug testing program is almost pointless. Let me give you my example, I went to the Dentist to have a tooth pulled a while back and was Rx'd Vicodine 10-500 and I took 6 or 7 the day before I took the drug test. I wasn't working so this was a pre employment test. I wasn't ever called on this as it wasn't a drug tested for and passed. How many people do you know that get this drug scripted for them as compared to how many people do you know shoot up Heroin and work regularly. I am sure the difference is staggering. For a DOT drug test they test only for the SAMHSA-5. I think its 85% perception 15% safety otherwise they would require at least a 10 panel test.
Posts: 672 | From: BNSF | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duke Of Earl
4th Gear Member
Member # 6013

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2009 14:42      Profile for Duke Of Earl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pray tell Driver why would you take 6-7 of these in one day??? For a tooth??Vicodin effects negatively affect a person's mind and body and vicodin effects can be serious and deadly. Once someone becomes addicted to vicodin, vicodin effects can hurt the person immediately after initial use and they can continue over time. The strain that vicodin effects place on the body is so extreme that they can lead to serious health problems and ultimately death. Vicodin effects are so severe that the body stops trying to fight the drug weakening the natural immune and detox system.Vicodin 10/500 contains 10 mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of acetaminophen my better half a Orthopedic and advises do not get hooked on these. Drive Safely

Posts: 415 | From: Good Ole USA** | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kibbe
4th Gear Member
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2009 18:07      Profile for Kibbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I had vicoden, I was told to take one or two, as needed for pain, once every 4 hours. THankfully I was able to get away with one ever 6 hours, after the first day, and was off of them by thethird day. That was after having two wiz teeth yanked.
Posts: 453 | From: In the truck | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Willtyat
3rd Gear Member
Member # 6496

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2009 21:36      Profile for Willtyat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well seeing as how I've been shaving my head for well over a decade I guess their going to have to test one of my short and curlies. I sure hope the nurse is cute.
Posts: 398 | From: Las Vegas or San Diego :)) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
FastTruck
6th Gear Member
Member # 4883

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2009 01:14      Profile for FastTruck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duke Of Earl:
Pray tell Driver why would you take 6-7 of these in one day??? For a tooth??Vicodin effects negatively affect a person's mind and body and vicodin effects can be serious and deadly. Once someone becomes addicted to vicodin, vicodin effects can hurt the person immediately after initial use and they can continue over time. The strain that vicodin effects place on the body is so extreme that they can lead to serious health problems and ultimately death. Vicodin effects are so severe that the body stops trying to fight the drug weakening the natural immune and detox system.Vicodin 10/500 contains 10 mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of acetaminophen my better half a Orthopedic and advises do not get hooked on these. Drive Safely

This post sums up my point. It is a very addicting drug and not tsted for. And I dont use vicodine anymore.
Posts: 672 | From: BNSF | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged